In the first – lecture type - part of this block course the most important physical laws and effects for solar energy meteorology as well as models for solar resource assessment and forecasting will be introduced. A special emphasis will be on evaluation concepts and applications. In the second - seminar type - part of the course the students are asked to get a better understanding of lessons learnt by studying and presenting publications related to solar energy meteorology.
The students will learn about:
- requirements for solar resource data from different applications
- most important physical laws and effects related to solar resource assessment and forecasting
- models and measurement devices for solar resource assessment and forecasting
- benefits and drawbacks of different models
- methods to assess the quality of solar resource data
Applications and requirements for solar resource data, basics of solar radiation, solar radiation models, satellite based irradiance retrieval, solar irradiance measurement devices, models for solar irradiance and power forecasting: numerical weather predictions, models based on cloud motion, statistical models, concepts of evaluation, model comparison.