|Module label||Financial Risk Management|
|Credit points||6.0 KP|
|Faculty/Institute||Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law (Economics)|
|Used in course of study||
|Skills to be acquired in this module||
The aim of the course is to provide students with a thorough knowledge of how to identify, classify, measure, and manage different types of financial business risks. In particular, we will discuss the properties and potential applications of derivatives in financial risk management. Upon completion of this module students
• will have a sound understanding of the concept of risk management, and will be able to distinguish different types of financial risks and risk management approaches;
• will be able to devise hedging strategies, arbitrage strategies, and speculative strategies using financial derivatives such as futures contracts, forward contracts, options, and swaps;
• will be able to consistently apply valuation models to determine theoretical prices of financial derivatives.
• will be able to assess limitations of financial derivatives in risk management.
The course provides insights into the theory and practice of modern financial business risk management, including:
• the concept of risk, types of financial risks, and approaches to risk measurement;
• the mechanics of financial markets, including derivatives markets;
• the properties of selected financial instruments, including financial derivatives such as forwards, futures, options, and swaps;
• tools and techniques for managing financial risks.
Highly recommended readings:
• John C. Hull, Options, Futures, And Other Derivatives, current edition, Pearson.
• Aswath Damodaran, Strategic Risk Taking: A Framework For Risk Management, Pearson 2008.
• John C. Hull, Risk Management and Financial Institutions, latest edition, Pearson.
• John C. Hull, Fundamentals of Futures and Options Markets, latest edition, Pearson.
Further readings may be announced during the course.
|Language of instruction||English|
|Duration (semesters)||1 Semester|
|Modullevel||MM (Mastermodul / Master module)|
|Modulart||Wahlpflicht / Elective|
|Lern-/Lehrform / Type of program||2 VL oder 1 VL und 1 Ü|
|Vorkenntnisse / Previous knowledge|
|Examination||Time of examination||Type of examination|
|Final exam of module||
typically at the end of the semester; potential mid-term examination dates will be announced in the first session
1 term paper (Hausarbeit) or 1 written exam (Klausur) or 1 oral exam (mündliche Prüfung) or 1 Portfolio
|Course type||Lecture (
ggf. mit Übung)
|Workload attendance||56 h|