|Module label||Formal Methods|
|Credit points||6.0 KP|
|Institute directory||Department of Computing Science|
|Applicability of the module||
Wehrheim, Heike (Module responsibility)
Lehrenden, Die im Modul (Authorized examiners)
|Skills to be acquired in this module||
Formal methods are mathematically well-defined languages for the modelling of systems. The students get to know different formal methods and learn about their usage for the modelling and analysis of systems. For a given task, they choose adequate formalisms and their corresponding analysis technique, apply these and interpret the outcome of the analysis.
- apply mathematical formalisms to the modelling of systems,
- choose an adequate modelling formalism for some given task,
- formally specify systems,
- choose suitable analysis techniques,
- interpret results of analysis runs.
- carry out formal correctness proofs,
- employ analysis tools,
- define the semantics of formal specification languages.
- work in groups on tasks and explain solutions to each other,
- discuss the advantages and disadvantages of modelling formalisms.
- organise themselves for the work in the module.
- Short recap of predicate logic, use of predicate logic in program verification,
- Petri nets,
- Process algebra CCS,
- Timed automata,
|Language of instruction||German|
|Duration (semesters)||1 Semester|
Useful previous knowledge: Course Logic
|Modullevel / module level||MM (Mastermodul / Master module)|
|Modulart / typ of module||Wahlpflicht / Elective|
|Lehr-/Lernform / Teaching/Learning method|
|Vorkenntnisse / Previous knowledge|
|Course type||Comment||SWS||Frequency||Workload of compulsory attendance|
|Lecture||2||SuSe or WiSe||28|
|Exercises||2||SuSe or WiSe||28|
|Total time of attendance for the module||56 h|
|Examination||Time of examination||Type of examination|
|Final exam of module||
Weekly assignments, oral examination at the end