|Module label||Profile Module Methods in Aquatic Microbial Ecology|
|Credit points||6.0 KP|
|Institute directory||Institute for Chemistry and Biology of the Marine Environment|
|Applicability of the module||
For the practical course lecture: Methods in Aquatic Microbial Ecology
|Skills to be acquired in this module||
Skills to be acquired in this module
The students learn to…
· analyze bacterial substrates at ambient concentrations such as dissolved amino acids and carbohydrates by high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC).
· determine bacterial cell numbers by flow cytometry and epifluorescence microscopy and to analyze these data by image analysis.
· extract bacterial DNA from water and sediment samples.
· amplify bacterial genes by specific primers and PCR.
· assess bacterial communities by culture-independent methods such as denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis and next generation sequencing.
· present and discuss scientific results.
· write a scientific protocol.
The students gain competences in:
· Understanding how to analyze dissolved substrates of heterotrophic aquatic bacterial communities by state of the art approaches.
· How to assess the abundance of aquatic bacterial communities by state of the art approaches.
· Analyzing the composition of bacterial communities by PCR-based culture-independent approaches.
The course starts with a lecture introducing basic issues of aquatic microbial ecology with an emphasis on methodological aspects. This lecture is completed before the practical work starts.
During the practical course of a block of two weeks the participants carry out analyses and experiments on:
The main emphasis is on analyses and approaches of bacterial communities in the water column.
Lecture notes, available on Stud.IP
|Language of instruction||English|
|Duration (semesters)||1 Semester|
|Type of module||Wahlpflicht / Elective|
|Teaching/Learning method||Block course, 2 weeks; practical course (4 SPPW) and seminar (1 SPPW)|
|Previous knowledge||For the practical course lecture: Methods in Aquatic Microbial Ecology|
|Type of course||Comment||SWS||Frequency||Workload of compulsory attendance|
|Total module attendance time||70 h|
|Examination||Examination times||Type of examination|
|Final exam of module||
Will be announced during the course
One assessment of examination: Portfolio (seminar presentation, written protocol)
Protocol (100 %), seminar presentation (no mark). Active participation (Active and documented participation in practical courses (labs, exercises, seminars, field trips) and courses. These include e.g. the delivery of exercises, writing a lab report or seminar presentations according to the advice of the course supervisor.)