Skills to be acquired in this module
The students learn to…
· analyze bacterial substrates at ambient concentrations such as dissolved amino acids and carbohydrates by high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC).
· determine bacterial cell numbers by flow cytometry and epifluorescence microscopy and to analyze these data by image analysis.
· extract bacterial DNA from water and sediment samples.
· amplify bacterial genes by specific primers and PCR.
· assess bacterial communities by culture-independent methods such as denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis and next generation sequencing.
· present and discuss scientific results.
· write a scientific protocol.
The students gain competences in:
· Understanding how to analyze dissolved substrates of heterotrophic aquatic bacterial communities by state of the art approaches.
· How to assess the abundance of aquatic bacterial communities by state of the art approaches.
· Analyzing the composition of bacterial communities by PCR-based culture-independent approaches.