|Credit points||6.0 KP|
|Faculty/Institute||Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law (Business studies)|
|Used in course of study||
|Skills to be acquired in this module||
Upon completion of the module students will be able to explain the role financial institutions play in financial markets based on economic theory. They will have a sound knowledge of institutional and regulatory conditions under which financial institutions operate today, and they will be able to critically assess respective developments in the financial sector. Moreover, they will have developed a sound understanding of how banks are managed in a competitive environment.
We will discuss theoretical foundations of financial intermediation in general, and of banking in particular as well as the economic, institutional, and regulatory context in which financial institutions operate today. Moreover, we will cover selected topics in the area of bank management and bank accounting..
• Arnold: Modern Financial Markets & Institutions: a practical perspective, latest edition, Pearson
• Berger / Molyneux / Wilson (Eds.): The Oxford Handbook of Banking, latest edition, Oxford University Press
• de Haan / Oosterloo / Schoenmaker: Financial Markets and Institutions – A European Perspective, latest edition, Cambridge
• Hartmann-Wendels / Pfingsten / Weber: Bankbetriebslehre, latest edition, Springer
• Tolkmitt: Neue Bankbetriebslehre, latest edition, Gabler
Further readings may be announced during the course.
|Languages of instruction||German, English|
|Duration (semesters)||1 Semester|
|Modullevel||MM-PB (Professionalisierungsbereichsmodul im Master)|
|Modulart||je nach Studiengang Pflicht oder Wahlpflicht|
|Lern-/Lehrform / Type of program|
|Vorkenntnisse / Previous knowledge|
|Examination||Time of examination||Type of examination|
|Final exam of module||
typically at the end of the semester; potential mid-term examination dates will be announced in the first session
1 term paper (Hausarbeit) or 1 written exam (Klausur) or 1 oral exam (mündliche Prüfung) or 1 Portfolio
|Workload attendance||56 h|