Formal methods are mathematically well-defined languages for the modelling of systems. The students get to know different formal methods and learn about their usage for the modelling and analysis of systems. For a given task, they choose adequate formalisms and their corresponding analysis technique, apply these and interpret the outcome of the analysis.
The students:- apply mathematical formalisms to the modelling of systems,- choose an adequate modelling formalism for some given task,
- formally specify systems,- choose suitable analysis techniques,- interpret results of analysis runs.
- carry out formal correctness proofs,- employ analysis tools,
- define the semantics of formal specification languages.
The students:- work in groups on tasks and explain solutions to each other,
- discuss the advantages and disadvantages of modelling formalisms.
- organise themselves for the work in the module.