The workshop is adresses to PhD students of the graduate school Oltech.
Before the course begins you have at least parts of a paper for an international
peer-reviewed journal written in a first draft (with or without other authors).
Topics of the workshop:
- the structure of scientific papers,
- an effective abstract,
- the introduction – what is important?
- the materials and methods – what and how much?
- the results – systematic and clear
- the discussion – place your data in context
- the conclusions.
- interacting with editors and reviewers
–plagiarism and its consequences
- citing and quoting
- English and its usage, with emphasis on German-speaking authors (passive and active voice; special issues as capitals, apostrophes, abbreviations, numbers and rounding, hyphenation; British or American English?)